Monday, March 5, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes

Tired of being cold and snowed on, and inspired by Lucy's love of the color pink, I decided to try making Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes. C'mon, lets enjoy a little piece of summer.


I cheated and used a cake mix. You see, the original recipe that made my mouth water (I found it in the cupcake book my little sister gave me for christmas) called for fresh strawberries. Now, since it is winter in the frozen tundra and strawberries are a little out of season I had to make a choice- homemade and fresh vs. easy cake mix. Obviously, I chose easy (think of it as a little something, something for my friend Eileen. She knows who she is and what I am talking about).


Since I wanted to make these for Lucy, I thought, why not let her just help. Here she is. Dressed to impress, ready to bake. When I close my eyes and think about what Martha Stewart looked like as a little girl, this is pretty much what I see.

Once those pink babies hit the oven, it was time to make a lemon cream cheese frosting. Sorry Eileen. This one is homemade. No store bought frosting here.

(1) 8oz package of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup of butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups, sifted, powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons of lemonade concentrate, thawed to room temperature
mix all ingrediants until smooth


Any advice I can give, not like I am in any position to ever give baking advice, but- is to use an electric mixer anytime you make frosting. It helps to ensure smooth, creamy frosting- everytime. Trust me.


Fresh out of the oven, here is a the little pink baby- ready to be frosted.


Frosted.


Decorated with a daisy.


Or a few daisies

Lucy loved these little pink darlings. I tried one too. And I have to say, "Eileen, the cake mix isnt bad."

Anyways, this sweet and tangy treat plucked me out of the cold and into the sun. Worth it. Every last calorie.

No comments:

Post a Comment