Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Church of Friends

My friend Lori and her husband recently invited myself and another friend over to their house for dinner.

Rewind 2 weeks.

Lori and I are sitting at work. I'm charting my long day and she is catching me up on her life and any recent gossip. Sharing in my love for food, she mentions a great Indian/Thai recipe. I immediately invite myself over for dinner- for any night. Somehow, our friend Summer was included. Mainly due to her love of wine.

So the day was set. Lori was to prepare a feast of love. I was to bring a dish to pass, Summer was in charge of dessert.

The night arrived. Excited for a relaxing night out, I arrived at Lori's house. As I entered her home, the aromatic scents of laborious love fill the air. She embraced me with a smile and a hug. Summer arrived shortly after. We were then hurried into her warm kitchen. Her husband Paul, was waiting with hugs and wine. Lori introduced me to her children and their significant others. We all sat down to a quaint dinning room table. Lori, the wonderful hostess, arranged the table to be enjoyed "family style." She pointed and explained all the colorful dishes laid forth. I had prepared my first attempt at chutney- an authentic Indian side dish. We ate, drank, and shared delightful conversation. One topic being religion. Lori, a catholic, Summer, a Protestant turned Lutheran, and me- an inactive Mormon married to a Midwest Lutheran, we all brought lively, yet respectful views to the table. Literally.

The night was perfect. The food was great, the company even better. Now due to my lack of devotion or discipline to religion and church, this dinner got me thinking. I may not attend church service or worship on a regular basis, but I do feel that I have a strong connection with a belief system of love, charity, and goodness. Spending time with my friends reminded me of the importance of opening our hearts to the ones we love, and also to those who may need it.

To Lori and Paul- you have a lovely home, an even more beautiful family. Your love warmed me to my core. I am the most gracious of guests. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment