Wednesday, November 30, 2011

No Running by the Pool

Attempting to spend more time together as a family, I recently signed us all up for a membership at the YMCA. I have successfully filled our weekly calander with activities such as: family swimming, kids in motion, Zumba Fitness, workouts, Daddy/Daughter nights, open gym, and 3 on 3 basketball. Remember, the key word here is FAMILY.

This all seemed like a great idea, until it came time to pack everybody up in the car and head down for our first night of "family fun."

3:22- pick up Lucy and Kane from school
3:40- arrive home, kids demanding snacks, dropping backpacks in kitchen
4:00- kids still trying to empty the pantry into their stomachs, all while I am yelling, "get out of the pantry, I am making dinner!"
4:30- I stand in front of the fridge, searching for something to throw together for dinner
5:00- grilled cheese and tomato soup it is, come and get your dinner made with love- all of you!!!
5:45- As we layer on our snow coats and hats and pile into the car, I tell all the kids, and Garth, about our night of "family fun." I go over the rules and threaten anyone who breaks any of them.
6:00- the five of us arrive at the YMCA- ready for our "family night" to start.
6:15- I secure a family dressing room and locker, again threatening anyone who is even thinking about embarrassing me by breaking any of the rules set forth by both the YMCA and myself. Hudson looks at me and coos. Kane rolls his eyes and says, " I know" and Lucy sweetly repeats, "I understand." Garth is frustrated and silently, passively herding the children around the locker room and handing out swimsuits.
6:30- We enter the swimming pool to join other Y members for Family Swim. Immediately, Kane enters the wrong pool, Lucy starts running, and Hudson begins to scream. 3 rules broken in one second. I'm so excited. As I turn to Garth, he shakes his head and starts swimming. After I wrangle in the older kids and quietly express my anger, they ignore me and jump into the pool. We then enjoy 1 hour of family swimming fun.
7:30- Time to capture all three kids and corral them in one spot to attempt the drying off and return to street clothes process. Sounds easy- it's not. Lucy starts to strip out of her swimsuit before entering the locker room. Kane starts to wander, providing no help with the little kids. Once dressed, Lucy locks herself into an empty locker. Busy changing Hudson, I am oblivious to the fact that one child is missing.
7:45- I'm dressed, Kane is dressed, Hudson is dressed. I am packing up wet swimsuits when Garth finds me and asks, "All ready? Where is Lucy?" Without looking up, I throw my arm back and say, "she is over there." That is when we hear, "Mama, I am stuck in here." We all stop, look up at each other, and then start opening lockers, looking for Lucy. We found her. She fit perfectly into the corner locker on the floor. Note to other parents, when you have a lost child, look in the locker room.
P.S. I broke a rule too, no cameras in the locker room, the YMCA better keep a closer eye on this family.


8:00- Exhausted with the nonsense of our "family night," My husband ushers us all out the locker room and out to the car. I promised all the kids ice cream. That sounded like a better idea earlier in the evening, maybe before my kids stressed me out. We ate our ice cream in record time, hurrying our kids all the time.

This was our first night, I cant wait to do it again. Tomorrow night is basketball and open gym. Flying balls, great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment