Wednesday, November 23, 2011

That's why God made wine, and baklava

Nothing says "tradition" like the women in my family gathering to help prepare a wonderful feast. This year has been different. My little sister is here, and we have Hudson playing under our feet- grabbing at towels, spoons, and anything else within his reach.

As my grandmother (GeGe), thinking she is still the matriarch of family, encouraged us to get working, my mom- the "real" matriarch began to boss everyone around. My dad was placed in charge of watching the little kids.  We all had our assignments. My mom was well, in charge. Jillian was chopping vegetables, and GeGe and I were to make a pan of homemade baklava (a two man operation).

GeGe and the Baklava

Baklava is our family tradition. Making this delightful, buttery, flaky treat seems to bring us all together. We are reminded about making it as little girls in GeGe's kitchen and years past. We laugh and bond as the delicious smells of the holidays fill the house. Who am I kidding? It never happens like that.

Today was an exceptionally long day of preparations and errand running. Tired and cranky, I finally arrived at my mom's, my two little ones in tow.

We all quickly congregated in the kitchen, barking orders at each other and attempting to make a memory. Jabbing and joking ensued, sarcasm began to stain every comment, Lucy and Hudson bumping and tripping into us every strep of the way as I continued to whine and complain about my day and all my stressors.

Exhausted with listening to me, my mom handed me a glass of red wine and said,

"Okay all ready, this is why God made wine, here drink this and shut up..."All while, my little sister laughing and GeGe waiting for me to hurry up with the phyllo dough.

With that, I had an epiphany- I have so much to be thankful for. All of sudden, the noises of chaos turned into childish playfulness. My stress melted and my heart softened. I drank my wine, relaxed and enjoyed the time and the memories I was having with my mom, grandma, and sister.

We finished our respective "jobs" and took and step back to admire our work. We hugged and kissed and said our goodbyes, with the excitement of tomorrow on the horizon.

High on life, I scooped up my kids and headed home. Then reality smacked me in the face. As Garth was bathing Hudson, Lucy attempted to climb on Garth to get to Hudson in the bath tub. This was the result.


Don't worry, it was nothing a band aid and Popsicle couldn't fix.

I know it sounds cheesy, but Happy Thanksgiving.
I agree with my mom, thank God for wine, and baklava.

No comments:

Post a Comment