Monday, January 2, 2012

Time Out- What's That Smell???

Alternate Blog Title- "Adventures in Zion"

After a hectic holiday season here in Wisconsin, my mom and I jetted off to Utah (aka Zion) to see my sister and some long lost family members (who are trapped in Zion).

After making and freezing 4 nights of meals, laying out laundry, arranging daily activities, and of coarse- packing my own bag, I kissed my kids goodbye, and off I went. My very first vacation with out my kids. I was nervous and excited. After all, the kids were being left in the very capable hands of my husband (their dad) what could go wrong??? I promised my husband that I would call "ALL THE TIME," and that he would be fine. With a loooooong kiss and a wink later, I was headed to the airport- music blaring and my mom changing the radio station whenever she pleased (that's not annoying at all!?!).

Enjoying a nice glass of wine
My mom and I are terrible travelers, and we almost never travel without our husbands. Arriving the airport and fighting about parking, we grabbed our bags and were ready to navigate our way to Utah. Meeting resistance almost immediately. You see, my mom had purchased a ticket for my Grandma to fly with us, after falling ill with "the pneumonia," she canceled her plans and stayed back. Excited to have one seat in between her and I, my mom planned to stretch out, take a tranquilizer and sleep her way to the promise land. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr, that came to a screeching halt, when a little Kim Kardashian wannabe sat in between us. After fighting, and getting no where with the lovely stewards, my mom put on her Ray Charles sunglasses and attempted to sleep, despite little Kim K flopping around in her seat like some D class celebrity. I laughed, flipped on my kindle and enjoyed the peace and quiet. After a stop in Denver and few glasses of wine later, we had arrived. Zion was just as we had left it, full of young Mormon couples greeting each other at the terminal gate- hugging, with the proper amount of Book of Mormon distance between them.

Mom and I gathered our bags and waited outside, surprised by the mild temperatures, for my little sister, Jillian, and my "Aunt" Darlene to sweep us up and take us "home."

The sounds of, "Who the F--- wears sunglasses at night????" came screaming around the corner, no worries- just our ride everybody. Darlene and Jillian barely parked the care before they came running towards us, with their arms open wide. As Darlene and my mom screamed like school girls, exhausted from traveling with my mom, I put our bags in the car. Soon, we could hear the Airport Police start to yell at us for reaching our time limit in the loading zone. The 4 of us, jumped in the car and sped off, all the while everyone fighting for the attention to be heard- above the radio of coarse. My mom and I looked at each other and at the same time asked,

"What's that smell??? It smells like old McDonald's."
Laughing, Jillian and Darlene, threw their heads back and yelled, "WE GOT SPRAY TANNED!!!"

Hoping that they looked better than they smelled, we all laughed and shared in the excitement of our travels and planned our fun week ahead. You see, we all had a lot to do this week, to include celebrate the wedding of Darlene's daughter, Dani. xoxox

Arriving at Jim and Darlene's late, we all hugged goodnight and made plans to meet around the coffee pot in the morning. Jillian, mom, and I made our way to the guest bedroom. This is what we saw when we turned on the lights. Ahhhhhh!!!!!
OompaLumpa Jillian- You look Good!

Unable to sleep next the smell of "old McDonald's," Jillian was booted out to sleep on the couch, while my mom and I tried to get comfortable with what we called "Shiatsu" pillows that were unforgiving and hard to sleep on. Grateful for a "free" nights sleep, we fell asleep to the sounds of Jillian chattering away, about what- I'm unsure.

Wednesday 12/28
0900- Wake up to Jim making Coffee.
We sat around the kitchen table as Jim (Darlene's "darling" husband) catered to our every need. The coffee was perfect and the company was even better :)
At around 1100, we all piled in to two cars and set out to Salt Lake City. We were going to meet up with Dani and her fiance Zack, and then head to get mani and pedi's.

To Dani and Zack- you have an adorable home, decorated perfectly. Your little dog, scout, is the perfect first addition to your new family. I wish you all the best in your new life, together.
The Infamous Peach Cobbler, totally worth all the calories
We enjoyed mani's, pedi's and girl talk. Laughed until we cried, or until Jillian wanted to slide into a hole from embarrassment. Jillian then took my mom and I shopping in Downtown Salt Lake and we enjoyed a delicious lunch and the most AMAZING peach cobbler dessert of my life!!!! My mom, sister and I almost never enjoy time alone, just the three of us. We really needed it, and I loved being around them. They may make me crazy, but I guess, it is a good kind of crazy.

This house was for sale down the street from the nail salon. This is what I like to call, Mormon Marketing.
Outside the PierPont
Hurrying home, we had a Rehearsal Dinner and a Bowling party to attend!!!! Nothing says "I Do" like a few pitchers of beer, pizza, and some competitive bowling!!! Sarah (Zack's mom) sure knows how to throw a party, almost reminded me of back home in Wisconsin, you know- where the party is at!!!
My bowling shoes, with skinny jeans- good look?
Bowling rules, We needed rules, but one question- are pants optional???
Look closely, you will see, I WON!
Mom and Darlene with their balls- and too much alcohol
Two Worst Bowlers

Exhausted and excited for the Wedding day, Jim took us home, and put all of his ladies to bed.

Thursday 12/29 WEDDING DAY ITINERARY
0800- Wake up to handsome Jim and his infamous coffee, Thank you!!!

Early on this day, Darlene held a little team meeting between all the women. All having strong personalities and with sarcasm staining much of the conversations, Darlene initiated a "Time Out." Anytime someone felt the need, they could call a "time out" and reset the situation and/or conversation. It made for an interesting, and laughable day.

0915- Darlene took me to the Local Fire/Metro Station, where I met Battalion Chief Rampton and some of his men. They gave me a tour of their beautiful facility and gave me a souvenir t-shirt for Garth (he collects blue fire t-shirts). I bought lunch for the guys, and they all wished Darlene good luck on her big day. They were all gentlemen and I am proud to say that I am married to a wonderful man who belongs to a strong and proud brotherhood of heroes. Stay Safe Bountiful.
Thanks for the t-shirt, Garth loved it!

Having time to kill, and more errands to run, we dropped Darlene off at the hotel to spend time with Dani and the bridal party. Jillian took mom and I to get lunch in downtown Salt Lake. TIMEOUT: Jillian NEEDED an oil change in her car, and being the poor college student she is, Mom and I ate lunch while Jillian negotiated with the young men of Jiffy Lube. Laughing, mom and I both sprung a few bucks to fill up Jillian's gas tank.

On our way back to Jim and Darlene's to get ready, I thought,
"Hey mom, why don't we stop and get a bottle of Asti to help put us in the celebratory mood????" Agreeing with my brilliant idea, my mom turns to Jillian (our chauffeur) and says,
"Take us to the closest Liquor store please!"

Now, with Jillian being LDS (Mormon) and the fact that UTAH is a DRY state, meaning, you can only buy liquor at State Stores, Jillian grabbed her IPhone, and googled mapped the closest establishment carrying any kind of alcohol. TIME OUT- After about 45 minutes of searching, screaming, and laughing so hard I think I peed my pants- realizing that mom had the map upside down, we had arrived at the local watering hole- The Utah State Liquor Store. Walking in, and immediately feeling at peace, my mom and I split up, on a mission. We found Stoli Vodka for only $15 a bottle, Asti for $11.98, and Tequila Rose for $9.99. Basking in our triumphant purchases, we sped home (Jillian being the world's worst driver), to get ready for Dani's wedding.

Proof that holding tight to the iron rod will lead you home
3 women fighting for one shower, one bathroom, 2 mirrors, and all the make up, hairspray, and curlers you could imagine led to my mom and I drinking the entire bottle of Asti a few shots of Rose, and A LOT OF TIME OUTS. The wine and shots were delicious. You may shake your heads, but we got ready with 15 minutes to spare! For us, that is a miracle, just ask my dad or my husband.
Jillian and I, after fighting for bathroom time
Aunt Darlene and Gma Joanne











Riding in the Car, Jillian and I in the backseat, probably on a time out!?!


As we made our way back into Salt Lake to watch the nuptials of Dani and Zack, we sang to the radio and rubbed Jim's bald head for good luck!!!

Jim, his girls, and his handsome bald head
Dani and Zack had a beautifully simple wedding ceremony, and were married by Zack's uncle. They shared their first kiss and the party began! We enjoyed great music, delicious food, and tasty cocktails. My favorite being, the Whipped Vodka and Ginger Ale. It was like heaven in a cocktail glass.

Doing shots after my time out from Ransom's GF
TIME OUT.  I apparently upset the lead singer in Zack's band's girlfriend by dancing with him. She grabbed him by the tie and put him on a TIME OUT. Poor Ransom, hopefully she is good in bed, or he is in for a long road with that girl.

We all over stayed our welcome at the wedding venue and then took the party across the street to the bar where Dani and Zack first met. It was the perfect way to the end the perfect day. However, I don't think Zion (Utah) was quite ready to party (drink) with Wisconsin up in the house.

Inside the photo booth at the wedding reception, after too many whipped vodkas
Drunk, tired, and drunk, we went home and passed out. Again, congrats to Dani and Zack- the wedding was the perfect way to show the world of your love for each other. Your families are equally lucky to each gain a new member. Now, I think it is time to bring on the babies!!!! Scout needs a little buddy.

Friday 12/30
Connie, Mom, Me in front of Connie's Beautiful Xmas Tree
Mom and I wake up, refreshed and ready (remember we are professionals) Jim and Darlene both wake up and ask, "Where is the whiskey truck that just hit me???" We laid around the house in our jammies and looked through old photo albums. Darlene and I shared a lovely, bonding conversation while Jim and my mom took naps. Later in the evening, my mom and I drove out to see dear friends of ours- Connie and Larry. Connie's daughters used to babysit me and my siblings. I used to think that Melinda was the prettiest girl in the whole world and wanted to be just like her. She became a Paramedic. This was my first insight into the world of health care, I like to believe that from that spark of interest, I became a nurse. It was great to catch up with Connie and Larry, as always, the trip was too short. Lots of love to you both!!!

We returned to Jim and Darlene's to find the dinner table set, the wine glasses out, and Jim serving up a five star dinner. It was DELICIOUS!!!! I have now found my new favorite way to eat sweet potatoes. Jim- please send me the recipe!!!!

Darlene, my mom and I enjoyed a nice soak in the hot tub, prepared by Jim, of coarse. We talked about life, family, and the future. We all made plans to see each other again, soon. We hugged and said goodnight.

Saturday 12/31
After a fun filled, busy, trip in Zion- we packed up and headed back to the Frozen Tundra. Wisconsin was waiting, and so was the worst flight from SLC to Denver. Altitude+Turbulence= SICK AMANDA.

3hours of layover in Denver, a few ginger ale's, and two Phenergans (anti nausea tranqulizers) later, I found myself passed out the entire flight home. I awoke to the freezing temperatures that I had nearly forgotten. I was greeted by my 2 darling children and my bed, minus the "Shiatsu" pillows from hell.

It was a great trip. I loved bonding with my sister, we have a long ways to go and a lot of memories behind us. Jim and Darlene were amazing hosts. I can only hope that you allow us the privilege to repay the same courtesy.

Dani and Zack- Good Luck and God Bless. Buckle up, Marriage is a bumpy ride, I'm sure you will stay in the carpool lane and play frogger through all the traffic life throws your way. Remember that you can not sign on to forever with someone and not expect a few bad days. The bad will remind you of the good and help you to savor in the happiness of the moment. Your love is evident and strong, be good to each other, and always kiss each other goodnight.

Alright, TIME OUT- my daughter is coloring her bed with glitter markers and Hudson is eating dog food, I have got to go!

Happy New Year Everyone.
With love, From Wisconsin-
Amanda

P.S. The frozen meals are still in the freezer, along with 3 tubs of ice cream I didn't purchase. There are pizza boxes in the recycling, and toys EVERYWHERE. It looks like daddy did a pretty okay job without mommy?!?

2 comments:

  1. I loved your stories. It sounded like you had a great trip with your Mom. I am so happy you came to see us. You guys are such a big part of our lives. We love you, Hope to see you longer on your next trip. Love and kisses to you all. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure who this Rochelle person is but it works for me. She is awfully cute. Connie

    ReplyDelete