Monday, June 25, 2012

Catching fireflies

After a busy week, a busier weekend, and lots of surprises (did I mention, we SOLD our house?!?) G and I decided to have a backyard bonfire with the kids. So, last night, we had the kids gather wood and set out the chairs, while we made some cocktails and got ready to make s'mores. The night was perfect. No wind. Warm. Quiet. It was the absolute right time to relax by the fire and celebrate with the family.




Recently, I have been spending more time reading to the little schueys. Books like Green Eggs and Ham, Oh the Places you Go, and Sam the Firefly have been read over and over again. Loving being outside (in the dark), Sam the Firefly really struck home with my kids. So. Last night, we (G and the kids) decided to catch fireflies. I sat back, enjoying my cocktail, taking pictures.


These kids ran around the backyard like little monkeys. Running into each other and stealing the bug catcher at every corner.





I think all in all, the kids caught 5 fireflies. They were pretty good at it. Too bad I cant make any money off of this talent. Its not like they are gonna be the next Cosby Kids or anything. Damn it. Right?
A lesson I did learn, however; is- buy more than one bug net. My kids do not share well. But. I think they only beat each other with it a few times. No permanent damage.
Oh and. If you wanna keep the fireflies alive, you gotta drill holes in the jar. Oops. Next time I wont have cocktails during family night. Especially since Mondays are Kettle B(h)ell Day. Bonfires, fireflies, and cocktails the night before make it even tougher to function after hurling kettle bells. I cant decide whether my body starving for oxygen this morning was from my intense work out, or all the firefly fun from last night. Its kinda a blur. 

Of course, the kids wanna do it all over again tonight. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Garth. Get the matches. And the bug catcher.

If you are feeling adventurous, stop by.
Lots of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment