Monday, June 25, 2012

Where 'my' sidewalk ends...

When we were kids my GeGe used to read us poems by Shel Silverstein. I think we read the book, Where the sidewalk ends a 100 times. In fact, these hilarious poems may be responsible for my dry, sarcastic sense of humor. Or my dysfunctional upbringing may be to blame for my personality? Who really knows. Anyways, to this day, my little sis and I can still quote some of these funny quips and lines.

Poems like Ickle me, tickle me, pickle me too, The yipiyuk, For sale, What a day, and My rules all filled our days with laughter and sparked our imagination.

As an adult, as a mother- some of these poems mean a little bit more. This man. This poet, taught many lessons with his words. Words as a child I thought were silly but as an adult, these quotes have meaning and purpose.


I hope that with these same poems, I can teach my little schueys life lessons, love, and happiness.

In all seriousness. Without arrogance or annoyance. I love my life. I love my kids. Even when they throw my cell phone down the laundry shoot. Even when they splash in the toilet- with my toothbrush. Even when they color on my walls and my car with sidewalk chalk. Even when they put Fruit Loops Cereal in the DVD player. Even when they make me crazy.

Crazy with crumbs in my bed....

crumbs in bed, crumbs in bed.
oh how I wish I had soup instead.
crumbs in bed, crumbs in bed.
oh how I hate crumbs in bed.

To Lucy and Hudson-
When you eat snacks in my mommy's bed, please remember to eat them on daddy's side.

xoxox,
mama



No comments:

Post a Comment