Thursday, January 5, 2012

Jumpsuit Apparatus- A PSA

Attention, this is a Public Service Announcement.

Do you belong to a gym?
Does your gym membership include a locker room, showers, etc?
Do you USE the gym and the locker rooms?

Than this is for ALL of you....

Calling all gym patrons- please be conscious of your clothing attire while partaking in lifestyle modifications. I applaud your dedication, your hard work, the time and energy you are devoting to your health. BUT- please wear clothing that is appropriate for a PUBLIC gym. This is NOT your private work out oasis.

Case in point- 60ish woman who looks like my college psych professor: Please find your natural hair color (I promise you, it is not that "red" color you have now). You don't need to put on a full face of make up. I don't think that there are many "fish in your pond" here at the gym, and besides, blue eyeliner is never a good look. NEVER. And, finally, that jumpsuit apparatus that you are working, it's NOT working. It didn't work for Olivia Newton John back in 1981 (along with the blue eyeliner) and it is not doing you any favors now. I don't appreciate the butt floss over the jumpsuit either- it's distracting.

To this same (attractive) woman, I ran into you again, in the locker room. This time, I had my daughter, Lucy, with me. If you choose to disrobe, and be naked, in the open, I CAN NOT promise that my daughter will not stare and/or point at you. She is 3 1/2. There are showers that are available, you can change your clothes behind a curtain, or a door, or whatever. There is no need to stand naked in the middle of the locker room. I am not trying to be rude or a prude, but come on! I am not going to scar you by taking my clothes off, pay me the same respect, it is only fair. It is at this time, and this time only, that I would prefer you to wear that jumpsuit. The End.

On a different note. After working out (thanks to Laura for a killer hour of Body Pump) I walked to pick up my kids. I was greeted at the door by two very anxious YMCA workers. Each fighting to find the right words, I asked, "Is everything okay?"

The older child watch lady responded with, "Um, we have an incident report we need you to fill out." Concerned, I quickly scanned the room, I saw both of my kids- alive and well.

"Okay, what happened? What did Lucy do?" I asked.
"Oh, she was fine. It was Hudson. He uhhh.... Why don't you explain?" She said turning to the younger, much more excited worker.
"You see, the child watch room echos really bad, and you see, Hudson was playing by the baby gate and he got his fingers stuck. And because of the noise, and the echo, I couldn't alert her (gesturing to the other lady) fast enough. So, he had his fingers stuck for quite a while. I put ice on his hand, and he only cried for a minute."

Sighing relief, I looked at the two women, who appeared very concerned for the well being of my child, and said, "Oh that's it? Okay, I can handle that. Where do I sign?"

The women looked at each other and then back at me, "We really appreciate your understanding, we apologize and we have alerted administration of the need to improve our child area. Thank you for being so kind."

So there I went, I signed the "incident report," scooped up my kids, all bundled up in their coats and hats and off we went. Hudson had a few tears in his eyes, but he was alive- pink, warm, and dry is what I always say. Looking back I thanked the child watch workers and said, "As long as my kids didn't do anything to get us kicked out, I'm all good."

Nothing a little juice and kiss from mommy couldn't fix


This got me thinking, maybe they should spend more time enforcing a dress code and less time scaring their employees about pinched fingers. I mean, lets be real, Hudson lives with Lucy and Kane. A pinched finger is NOTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment